Wednesday, July 22, 2009

LtSLaS

Kristin Hersh's Learn To Sing Like A Star LP came out in January 2007 but I had downloaded the previous November. I had to delete my harddrive last year and I finally bought the album a couple weeks ago.

I think it's a fun record, even though there are a lot of dreary songs like, "Ice", "Vertigo", and "The Thin Man".

It starts with "In Shock", an OK song- I don't think it should've been the single. Even the slow 2nd track, "Nerve Endings" would've been better. "Day Glo", where she quotes Olivia Newton-John, is stronger; it's angry and fun. The two sonds that I could see being popular singles are "Under The Gun" and "Sugar Baby". Other songs like "Peggy Lee" or "Winter" would sound good on a movie soundtrack. There are a couple song fragments and instrumentals scattered throughout; most are good to ok. The album ends with "The Thin Man"- I don't know, it's a little too dramatic.

If it had been up to me I would've changed a few things: drop "The Thin Man", group the fragments at the end, and add the In Shock B-sides. Here's what it would look like-

1. Sugarbaby
2. Nerve Endings
3. Day Glo
4. Under The Gun
5. Blackstone (B-side)
6. Windowpane (B-side)
7. Winter
8. Peggy Lee
9. In Shock
10. Christian Herse
11. Piano 1
12. Piano 2
13. Ice
14. Vertigo
15. Wild Vanilla
16. Poor Wayfaring Stranger (B-side)

Download the songs and try my order- you'll like it.

No comments: