Monday, November 7, 2011

Italian Wedding Soup




I had never thought to look before, but the other night at the store I came across Campbell's Italian Wedding Soup. It's nowhere near as good as when my father makes it, but it's good enough for a quiet November night at home. Mm-mm, good.

Comedy Central is finally showing reruns of It's Always Sunny- I'd seen a few scenes years ago but I had never managed to catch it when it was playing. I don't even know if they're making new ones but I hope they are. Mm-mm, good.

Have I ever mentioned how I used to love Talking Heads? I was obsessed with them and David Byrne's solo records. This was around 1996. I'd gone to Newbury Comics in Hyannis and they had Sand In The Vaseline on cassette for $4.99. I think I ended up loving 99% of the songs on it. I was amazed, especially by songs like "Warning Sign", "I Zibra", and "Memories Can't Wait".

Everything about the collection was awesome: it had early, unreleased songs like "Sugar On My Tongue", out-takes like Speaking In Tongues-era demo "Popcicle", newly (1991) finished songs from the Naked sessions, plus essays from each band member and stories about every song on the tapes.

And, of course, I loved the packaging since it had reproductions of a bunch of album and single sleeves.

I wish Belly's Sweet Ride packaging was done the same way. If they ever put out a box set, I'd love to see it come with a bocklet that shows all of the Belly sleeve images- front, back, and inside, plus the labels, postcards, and posters. I would buy that no matter what it cost.

No comments: