Wednesday, November 30, 2011

New David Sedaris


Just recently I found an essay that David Sedaris wrote for The Guardian this past summer. It's called "Chicken Toenails, Anyone?" and it's one of the funniest things he's written in a long time. He comes down pretty hard on both Chinese food and Chinese people and certain people have complained in print.

In tone, the essay would've fit in perfectly in Sedaris's earlier collections like Barrel Fever or Naked.

I have no problem with people complaining about Sedaris or his writing. But I totally disagree with the critisism that he's recieved for this essay. He doesn't say anything that is untrue, and it's unfair of other writers to call him racist or even insensitive.

What I really want to write about is the piece that Alex Heard wrote a few years ago in The New Republic. Heard's essay bothered me then, and it bothers me even more now. I'm going to go into full detail later this week. If you'd like to read it yourself there's a link to it on Sedaris's Wiki page.

No comments: