Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"No Direction Home"

Last week I went to my parents' house and borrowed No Direction Home from my dad. I watched the whole thing that night and I liked it a lot.

First off I wanna say: I really impressed myself- when an old clip from a performer was played their name wouldn't come across the screen until well into the performance. Still, right away, in almost every case, I knew who it was. Even Odetta who I had never seen or heard before. I'd only heard her mentioned by the beatniks in John Water's Hairspray.

Joan Baez was amazing- they show her young and singing a song about Jesus (by the way, is she singing, "Think I'll call him 'save-you'"? Is she saying savior and I'm just hearing her wrong? Anyway...), she's so pretty and her voice is beautiful.

It's funny how chubby Dylan is when he first comes to NYC, at least in his face. Baby fat.

And the British concert-goers cracked me up. One serious-looking guy says "I think he's prostituting himself". And it's funny that they hated the "rock" half of the show and still they werte also bored by the "folk" portion.

That Pete Seeger guy came across as a douche when it came to the story about how he wished he had an axe to cut the cables during a Dylan show because there was too much distortion and he couldn't make out the words.

What I really liked, because Dylan doesn't interest me much, is just the description of Greenwich village in the 1960s. It seems like a very romantic, exciting time. If I could time travel it would be cool to spend a day and night there.

No comments: