Friday, November 19, 2010

Carrie



I saw this poster for Carrie on Final Girl's blog. I think it has some really cool design elements.

That got me to read about the movie which I had seen years ago and thought was just ok. The book too.

Stephen King tells the story behind the inspiration, writing, and publishing of Carrie in his book On Writing. It's really interesting. You should definitely seek out On Writing. It's excellent.

Anyway, afterwards I looked up Brian De Palma movies. Some I'd seen, others I was surprised by. I'd seen Raising Cain- this was before John Lithgow got really annoying. De Palma did Dressed to Kill and Body Double- I happened to catch Body Double this week at my friend's house while he was at work.

I've wanted to see it ever since it was mentioned in American Psycho. I wanted to see what the big deal was. Number one- it's very dated. It's dated even before the male lead wanders onto a video shoot for Frankie Goes to Hollywood's "Relax".

Number two- the male lead, Craig Wasson, was a wicked pussy. Since I grew up with 80s movies I didn't realize till lately how wimpy a lot of 80s male movie characters were. Wasson was such a passive loner- not to mention- his claustrophobia- that it was distracting. What the hell.

Anyway, De Palma made so many different kinds of movies- the Hitchcock types, Bonfire of the Vanities, The Untouchables, Mission: Impossible.

No comments: