Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Breakfast Club


The Breakfast Club (1985) directed by John Hughes

A lot of people love John Hughes's movies from the 1980s. And for most people, their favorite is The Breakfast Club. I have a soft spot for those movies too, but my favorite is Weird Science- it's more of a sex comedy and it's very funny (we'll talk more about it some other time).

Anyway, The Breakfast Club was on yesterday and it had been a long time since I'd seen it all the way through so I watched it.

It was hard. The movie has some good scenes- it's like a well written play- but there are certain scenes that I can't even look at. I'm talking about those ridiculous 1985 dance scenes. They seemed out of place back when I saw TBC in the late 80s and now they just seem funny but not in a good way. How about when Emilio Estevez shouts and the glass shatters.

And speaking of glass shattering. Whenever I'm flipping around and happen to catch TBC at the beginning I always forget about the David Bowie quote. It's something from one of his older albums, Hunky Dorey maybe, and remember how the image acually shatters and the pieces fall away like it's a Friday the 13th title sequence?

I just can't take The Breakfast Club seriously. It's a total product of 1985. It's a shame when talented people try to be fashionable instead of trying to be timeless.

I'll say one good thing, though: I love the scene where Judd Nelson sticks his knife into a table or chair or something, and then when nobody's looking Ally Sheedy reaches over and steals it. Perfect. That's better than 10 shattering David Bowie quotes.

No comments: