Thursday, January 5, 2012

Movies, good and bad

I was just over at Ken Levine's blog, By Ken Levine, and he had written about certain movies and directors being over-praised. This is because of the new Diablo Cody movie Young Adult. Then he brought up the fact that Woody Allen, because he's done some great work, is able to get away with making a lot of shitty movies- movies that are praised beause he made them but would be ignored otherwise.

A few readers chimesd in to complain about Young Adult, Cody, and Juno ( I don't think anyone mentioned Jennifer's Body. That means none of them have seen it). I think Cody is unfairly criticized. I'm not saying she's perfect; I just think people complain about the wrong things. A lot of people say about Juno that teenagers don't really talk like that, but that doesn't matter at all.

Like Ayn Rand always said, she didn't want to write about the people she saw everyday. She wrote about the people that she wanted to see everyday.

And would you rather watch a realistic movie about teen pregnancy where the girl cries for 2 hours and searches her soul for an answer, or do you want to see a movie where the girl is clever and has a little fun with her situation? I like Juno just the way it is. If people don't talk like that then maybe they should.

Quentin Tarentino gets a lot of shit for having characters that sound like him, especially in Death Proof, but I like his voice and I like the things he has to say. I don't care if all the charcters sound the same either, like on The West Wing when Aaron Sorkin was writing it. Having one persons stamp on a work is almost always better than something done by a group of writers. The focus is stronger. It's one person's vision.

Anyway, Happy New Year.

No comments: