Monday, March 26, 2012

"Bright Yellow Gun"






"Bright Yellow Gun" EP (1995) Throwing Muses

Throwing Muses have put out some great EPs (I guess releases like this could also just be called 'CD singles').

I finally got this a few years ago; originally I just had the cassette single. The B-side was "Like A Dog". I'd always wanted to hear the other two songs and once I did I wished I'd gotten the full package sooner.

"Crayon Sun" has the coolest guitar sounds and reminds me of hot summer days laying in the sun. "Red Eyes" feels just like a rainy spring afternoon.

I think I've said before: these songs sound a lot like the songs on the Limbo LP which came out in 1996 and I've always wondered if they were recorded during the Limbo sessions. It would make sense- University was recorded before Hips and Makers but held back until early 1995.

Anyway, Throwing Muses re-recorded "Red Eyes" for The Seasons Sessions. If you get a chance, check it out, along with a lot of great new versions of older songs.

No comments: