Friday, January 9, 2009

Aimee Mann


Late one night in December of 1994 I was driving home after making out with my friend's sister, and before I pulled in the driveway Aimee Mann's new song "That's Just What You Are" came on the radio. I parked and listened and thought about earlier in the night and watched the snow fall.

I was never a Til' Tuesday fan, and I didn't bother picking up her album I'm With Stupid because I didn't think I'd like anything else by her. I didn't give her another chance till five years later when I heard "Save Me" on the radio. I'd read somewhere that she'd done some songs for the soundtrack of the movie Magnolia, but I had no desire to see Magnolia because I disliked Boogie Nights so much.

A while later I caught Magnolia on IFC and was blown away. Granted I have a lot of problems with the movie ( I'd slice about an hour from it and you wouldn't see the name Jason Robards in the credits ), it's hard to not be impressed by it. And I love the final scene when "Save Me" is playing- it's perfect.

The moment the movie was over I got on the computer and tracked down all the AM songs I could find and while they were downloading I looked up every Magnolia review and article, and Paul Thomas Anderson interview on the web.

Now I've got all of AM's records and I've seen PTA's post- Magnolia movies. Even though I was disappointed with Punch Drunk Love & There Will Be Blood, as well as The Forgotten Arm & Smilers, I still think they're both capable of great things and I'm looking forward to their future projects.

No comments: