Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Northampton, MA

In the city where I live there were some suspicious fires late in the night on the Saturday after Christmas. At one house people were left homeless; at another a father and his grown son died. This is a fairly safe town and that kind of thing doesn't happen here. Everyone was upset and worried.

Last night police arrested a local 25 year-old man who lived on one of the streets where a house burned. This morning the Springfield paper had photos of him from his Facebook page and when I went to his page I saw that my boss is one of his friends. I talked to her and found out they went to school together but didn't know each other well.

I moved here in October 2008. The week I arrived they were filming a Mel Gibson movie (Edge of Darkness, it comes out later this month) 3 minutes from my house, and next door to where I eventually got a job. Not long after that I was looking through the free weekly and saw that at a local bar that very night there was going to be a performance by Tuck & Patti. I don't know them or their songs; I've only heard of them through Kathy Griffin talking about them playing at Brooke Shields's wedding.

Anyway, I like this city; since moving here I've re-read Tracy Kidder's book about it, Hometown. At the time I was living in one of the apartment buildings mentioned in it- the creepy one where some guy died in the hallway.

I'm glad that I live here. It's a very interesting place.

No comments: