Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tuesday, July 27, 2010




I started this warm summer day at 7:30am and had a couple Popcicles waiting for The West Wing to come on. I checked out The Daily Guru where one of the spotlighted songs was The Supremes's "Come See About Me".

That led me to look up The Supremes and read their story. Two things stick in my mind:

Number Two- They were very determined to get signed to Motown and though Berry Gordy wasn't interested at first they kept coming back till he found a spot for them giving handclaps and backup vocals on other people's songs.

Number One- Though the Supremes continued on throughout the 1970s, the end really came with the song "Someday We'll Be Together" (which was really just Diana Ross solo). It was the last Number One for Diana Ross and the Supremes and also the last Number One song of the 1960s, which I think is fitting and very bittersweet.

So anyway, lately I'm feeling a little more energized and I'm looking at things differently which is what happens as you get older, I guess. One thing I've thought a lot about is how good my parents are with money. When I was a kid I called them "cheap" but they're savers and don't like to waste money. And even though for my entire adult life I've known the correct thing to do, for most of that time I've done the complete wrong thing. At long last, it's time to be responsible. I'll still have fun- there's no way around that- but I'm going to do things differently, the way they would.

The good thing is, part of it will be pretty easy. Unlike a lot of people, I don't care about clothes and almost all of mine came from friends and family members. Right now I'm wearing my buddy's boxer briefs.

And I always hear people say "Oh I love that movie, _____ .I'm gonna buy the DVD this weekend". Or they talk about their "collection". I know people who have over a hundred DVDs and they haven't even watched most of them. I never owned more than ten DVDs (most have been sold):
Pixies (the one with the videos from 2004)
Cruel Intentions 2 (which I had to own because of the shower scene)
Tokyo Drift (I'm a big fan of Lucas Black)
Tin Cup (a good movie but I shouldn't have bought it)
The Cannonball Run (ditto)
The Rules of Engagement (a good movie and perfect to pop in when there's company and nothing good on TV)
The Exorcist (I love The Exorcist and I wanted to see all the extras and to watch the movie with the director's commentary)

I'm going to buy The Exorcist again, but I might wait till there's a deluxe package that includes both versions plus the extras. I also want to buy The Godfather III because I love it and I'm slightly obsessed with it.

No comments: