Wednesday, June 29, 2011

More Carrie Fisher



My obsession with Carrie Fisher is winding down. I caught Wishful Drinking on HBO OnDemand three times (I read the book last November), and yesterday I found some old articles about her from Entertainment Weekly.

You know, she used to be a script doctor. From what I understand that job pays a shitload of money- studios, desperate to finish out-of-control movies, call in writers to fix the script: pulling the story together and, especially, punching up the dialogue.

Whoopi Goldberg brought CF in fix Sister Act when Whoopi was fighting with Disney (Disney Pictures, not Walt). CF also helped with Hook and The Wedding Singer.

Yesterday I read an article from 1990. The movie version of Postcards From The Edge was about to come out at the same time as CF's second novel, Surrender The Pink. The story said that Steven Spielberg bought the rights to Pink before the book was even finished. I've read both novels and I can say: Surrender The Pink is a big disappointment. Especially considering it's about CF's relationship with Paul Simon. That relationship fascinates me- their early days with the SNL crowd, their marriage that lasted about a year, and all the songs he wrote about her: "Hearts and Bones" from Hearts and Bones, "Graceland" from Graceland, and "She Moves On" from She Mo- The Rhythm of the Saints.

But anyway, I think I've found out all I can.

No comments: