Sunday, November 9, 2008

"Get Right" by Jennifer Lopez

When Jennifer Lopez started making records it reminded me of Don Johnson, but actually I like most of the singles I've heard, especially "Get Right". I don't understand why it wasn't a hit or why it's never on the radio.

I love that video- Lopez dressed up in different outfits and wigs- it's just fun.

This song came out during an unhappy time in my life. I was bored and lonely and looking for something to fill the time, usually it was sleep. Sometimes, though, to help yourself you have to help other people. I began giving away all my money to inner-city teenagers, expecting nothing in return but heroin. "Get Right" was on a mix CD that I'd made and would listen to on the way to the city. Liz Phair's "Erecting A Movie Star", Bonnie Raitt's "Let Me In", "Cold Water" by Tom Waits- good songs to listen to while you're driving around looking for drugs.

My friend and I used to go together for a while, meeting on the edge of town- whoever had the most fuel in their car would be the driver and we'd go into the city. It was nice working together; we each had our own money, but for a while I was out of work and her car was out of service. I drove and she payed. She got her car back before I found work so she payed a while longer, which was sweet (the way to my heart is through my veins).

After I stopped I worried that certain songs might trigger cravings. Not really. It's only when my local TV news station does a report on flu shots. By the way, now's a good time to get a flu shot and I've gotta get myself to the city.

No comments: