Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"Body of Evidence"


Body of Evidence (1993)

"Can you really screw someone to death?"

That's the question that Body of Evidence asks, and the question that Frank Dulaney's (Willem Dafoe) 10 year-old son asks him when Dulaney takes on the defense of Rebecca Carlson (Madonna), who is accused of killing her elderly boyfriend.

I saw this movie 15 years ago when it came out, and again the other night; it was much better than I remembered.

For one thing, it's a really attractive movie- I'm thinking of the car ride in the rain where red and yellow lights are flashing on Madonna and Dafoe. And in nearly every scene there's either a pretty background or a striking view out the window.

Joe Mantagna played the prosecutor and even though he did a fine job, I was a little disappointed as I was expecting a little Joey Zasa but it never happened.

Also in a supporting role was Julianne Moore as Frank's wife Sharon. I just found out a while back that she played the best friend in Hand That Rocks the Cradle so I really wanna watch that again. I loved her in that ("What is this? A parade?"). She doesn't have much to do here, but she does have a quick scene with Madonna in the courthouse ladies room towards the end of the trial.

"Wish me luck?", Madonna says, and Julianna Moore slaps her like she called her 'lady' and asked what was wrong that she needed all those prescriptions.

I was watching the movie and thinking Willem Dafoe must be on the short side because I read that Madonna's really tiny- 3'7" or something- and he's just a little taller than her. But he's very likeable; he looks like evil death but he's actually earnest goodness and he should open his own charm school.

The problem with this movie is that it could've been so much better. It's not that it's too serious; it just would've been better if it was more of a comedy. I don't mean campy or some kind of parody of Basic Instinct. I just think they should've thrown in more good jokes- like when Madonna replies to the police that she's never done cocaine in Oregon- and less Law & Order-type wisecracks.

Anyway, Body of Evidence: good movie.

No comments: