Monday, May 25, 2009

Aimee Mann summer tour




Aimee Mann is going on tour this summer. I'm hoping to see her at MassMOCA or in Norfolk,CT this July.

Last week at the library I picked up Aimee Mann Ultimate Collection. She's very much against this release, which was done without her permission. She wrote about it on her website and you can probably still read it there or at amazon.com. She's not happy with the song selection, sleeve design, and, especially, the way the liner notes try to make it look like she was part of the process of putting the collection together.

She's right about the song selection- it's too heavy on I'm With Stupid and doesn't have anything older than 1997 ("Wise Up"). I'm glad I picked it up though cause I've got a new favorite song: "Driving With One Hand On The Wheel", a B-side which was also on an abortion rights benefit album. I love it; it's one of her "fun" songs.

One thing I found strange though- if you look at the way "Aimee Mann" is written on her newest album Smilers, it's the same way it's written on the cover of Ultimate Collection. Odd.

Also, I found this import version of her Christmas album and I really like the cover photo and lettering.

No comments: