Saturday, May 30, 2009

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)

Last summer a couple friends and I picked up some percs and BK Steakhouse Burgers and went to see this. We couldn't wait and we ended up liking it, though we each still have our favorites (for me it's The Last Crusade).

Right away I have to say: the scene of the soldiers getting shot bothered me then and yesterday when I watched the movie again. Callous. We'll talk more about that in a minute.

It's a thrill seeing Jone's shadow on the car as he puts his hat on. Just like when he visits Marion's bar at the beginning of Raiders.

Shia Labeaf bothers me a little; maybe it was all the "new Tom Hanks" hype. I can say it was a mistake to dress him up like Brando with that gay cap on his head. He just looks like he's 14.

I enjoyed the scenes of Indy and Marion, they make a nice couple and I'm glad they brought her back.

One thing I could've done without is John Hurt. I can't fucking stand catatonic characters in movies. Every scene with Hurt dragged and just seeing his filthy hobo face on the screen made me angry.

I remember reading an interview with Spielberg where he said he tried to give this film the same look as the others. Mostly he did a good job, but one thing I don't remember from the other Indy films is that glowing white sky. It seems like this movie has the same look as Minority Report.

I like the movie but next time we have to talk about Spielberg and his newer movies.

No comments: