Monday, June 14, 2010

A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

I just watched A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) for the second time. The first time was when it first came out.

It scared me at the time. There was one scene that i couldn't watch and I actually covered my eyes. That's when the kid in the wheelchair was in a long corridor and there was a razor-covered wheelchair headed straight for him. I thougt he got mowed down by it. Actually, Freddy stabs him.

Since I was seeing it tonight as an adult, nothing scared me the way it did back then, and really, none of it scared me at all.

I thought it was funny how the nun kept disappearing. The first time, OK, it was in a crowd of people. But the second time? One moment she's talking to the doctor in a cemetary in the daytime, the next she's just gone. Does she go hide behind a headstone? And why not just say, "Goodbye". Manners, Miss Kruger.

There are three elements that place this movie in a different era. You wouldn't see these in Freddy vs. Jason:

One of the kids at the mental hospitol says to Nancy, "Welcome to the snake pit". I don't know if people got it then, but I know they wouldn't now- in the early 1900s a writer went undercover as a patient to expose the treatment in asylums and her book was titled The Snake Pit.

The opening title card, "Sleep, those little slices of death, how I loathe them", a well-chosen quote from Edgar Allen Poe.

Dick Cavett makes a cameo. I don't know why he decided to be in this movie but it's always good to see him.

By the way, I watched it on YouTube and there were Spanish subtitles and at one point Kristen's mother was telling her to go to bed and then says "Andale" and the subtitles say "Andale".

No comments: