Monday, December 19, 2011

FROZEN

Frozen (2010) Adam Green

I'm trying something new. I like the blog By Ken Levine, and one of the things he does is he writes the names of movies and TV shows in all caps, especially in the title of his posts. For now I'm just doing that- using caps in post titles. I'm hoping it'll make the subject clearer.

Anyway, tonight after work I went on the computer and also turned on the TV. I wasn't watching it; it was just on the Encore station, but at one point I looked up and saw three young people sitting in a ski lift chair. Right away I knew what movie it was. Back in February of this year the Final Girl Film Club selection was Frozen, a 2010 movie by Adam Green.

I remembered reading about it and I also remembered that most of the people who reviewed it liked it. It has an interesting set-up for a scary movie: three people stuck on a ski lift while all the staff shuts down and leaves for the week, not knowing that the three are still up there. I missed the very beginning of the movie so I don't know how the filmmakers settled the one major stumbling block to any modern horror movie: cell phones.

I imagine it must be really hard to come up with ideas for horror movies now that everyone has a cell phone and can call for help. I guess "no signal" is how they get around that for now, but what are they gonna do when coverage is universal? I guess they'll still think of something.

Anyway, the movie was really good and well done. As Final Girl said, the characters aren't very likable, but I don't think that their personalities bothered me as much as they bothered her. She called them assholes but I saw them more as nice people who did a few asshole things, as we all do, or at least, as I do sometimes.

I'm not gonna say anymore about the movie except that you should see it. Just know that it's very upsetting in places- a lot of places.

Moving on. Today was my day off but I had some office work that I needed to do so I forced myself to go out into the cold and go in. Before I left I was on Youtube watching clips of Chelsea Handler, both her show and her on Ellen. She's so funny, I love her.

No comments: