Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Songs from Little Creatures




"The Lady Don't Mind"
"Road To Nowhere" (1985) Talking Heads

I own the first two Talking Heads albums on vinyl. Originally I bought them on one those "2 on 1" tapes that Warner Brothers used to put out. They did the same thing with some of Prince's early albums- you'd get, say, Controversy on Side A and Dirty Mind on Side B and the whole thing would cost about $7.99.

The other Talking Heads album that I have on vinyl is Little Creatures. A lot of people call it their first big "pop" album but I don't know. Yes, it has catchy songs, but I don't think they compromised anything.

There's one thing I don't like though: I've read a few times that David Byrne felt that the structure of "Road To Nowhere" was too simple so he added the gospel intro. I think that part is lame and it nearly ruins the song. Oh well.

The sleeve for Creatures is interesting. The album came out in 1985 and the style of the sleeve is very similar to Prince's Around The World In A Day. In fact, each albums single record sleeves are alike too as they both use isolated images taken from the larger album picture.

No comments: