Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Belly "Star" back cover

After doing this for almost four years I was starting to think that I'd seen all the 4AD images from the 90s. Then, tonight, I saw this image- the back cover of Belly's Star on LP. This picture might be the very best image that was created for Belly. I can't get over how good it looks. It's perfect. The colors, the design, the way it all comes together. I'm trying to imagine what it must've felt like to have taken the photo of those flowers and then developed the picture and seen how beautiful it is. And even at 4AD and v23 where they're used to amazing, beautiful images it must've surprised everyone. Like TOTY, I only owned Star on tape, never CD. The back cover of the CD is the same photo, but the text is printed on top of the photo, to great effect. I love that image. It was already my favorite Belly image. But now there's this- the photo, so crisp and clear, above the text with it's bright red background. I was just thinking: the back cover image is so good- I wonder why they didn't include it in the cassette sleeve. I bet it would've looked awesome shrunk down to tape-size. Now I'm wondering if there are versions of the Star cassette that use the back cover image. Maybe I've got something else to look for.

No comments: