Friday, April 20, 2012

The Breeders

I love the Breeders. I have almost every song they've ever done- easy, because they haven't put out that much over the past 22 years. It feels weird to say it like that. As I've probably said here before. I first came to The Breeders after hearing "Cannonball" and falling in love with it. I still think it's a cool, catchy song, and I'm still impressed with the video. Watching it you can see why Kim Deal had such a reputation for being "cool" back then. So I loved "Cannonball", and, at the same time, I loved the song "Feed The Tree" from Belly. I bought Belly's Star and The Breeders's Last Splash and played them both over and over. At the time I still didn't know anything about the Pixies or Throwing Muses, though soon I'd buy a couple of each of their albums. Then one day I was at a record store and it happened to have another Breeders album that I'd never heard of: Pod. 'Cool',I thought, and then I looked at the front and the sticker on it saying The debut album from The Breeders featuring Kim Deal and Tanya Donelly. That was an exciting discovery. I really liked it but I was disappointed that Donelly wasn't featured more; she didn't even do much writing on the record (it wasn't til a few years ago that I read that Deal and Donelly had an agreement: Deal would write the first Breeders album and Donelly would write the second; Donelly left to form Belly and the songs that became Star
were originally meant to be the second Breeders record).

No comments: