Thursday, February 5, 2009

Belly promises



Before computer problems struck me mid-January, my plan was to use the month to spotlight Belly's Star LP. That didn't work out but it doesn't matter because during the first week of RJ Battles I did a post about the 4AD cassette artwork and showed my favorite pictures.

Of course I'd also planned on scanning the Gepetto[Remix] EP that I have- it's probably my favorite Star-era artwork. Then there are the "Feed The Tree" covers; each format has a different tree photo- the cassingle, the 45, the 12". And of course there's Baby Silvertooth, the Japanese EP containing B-sides and a "Tree" remix.

But fuckitall, it's February, it's time to talk about King, Belly's 2nd and last studio album.

King came out (in America) on Valentine's Day 1995, the same day that Throwing Muses's University was released.

I couldn't wait for King, but it ended being (to this day) a disappointment. The songs- as good as they are- are wrecked by poor production. Like the opening song, Puberty: great lyrics, an amazing chorus, the best title, but it just doesn't soar the way that it could and should.

Track two, Seal My Fate starts off with a guitar that sounds like springtime but even that song ends up being just mid-90's rock music. Same thing with Red, and on and on.

It's easy to see why Now They'll Sleep was chosen to be the lead single. It's one of the few songs that sounds complete. I read an interview at the time about how rough the rehersals were; they'd play and play and still couldn't get the sound they wanted. Anyway, it's what I'd call a Tanya Donelly "hummer", where- like "Not Too Soon" and "The Night You Saved My Life"- it's got some great sections where she hums a little and it makes the song that much better.

What should be the best song on the record ends up suffering the same problem as Puberty; King is amazing but it could've been 10 times better. It could've been the song of the decade, something to make everyone forget "Teen Spirit".

After everything else we're left with Judas My Heart which was, that spring, my favorite song from the record. I still love it, but now I think it's too bland and not helped by the incluion of the piano.

If it's taken me a long time to like the album, it'll take me twice as long to like the B-sides.

The Now They'll Sleep tracks didn't do anything for me aside from "Baby's Arm" and I don't think I'll ever like "John Dark"; on the latter some of the lyrics just get stuck in my ear.

Seal My Fate does better: "Spaceman" isn't a favorite but the band takes a new approach (Tanya Donelly says in the liner notes of Sweet Ride that had they stayed together, they would've continued in the direction of "Spaceman"); "Diamond Rib Cage" is a straightforward rock song, good, but like "John Dark" it has some lyrics that don't fit; the gem is the last track, a cover of Harry Nillson's "Think About Your Troubles"- it would've fit in perfectly on- and elevated- Star.

King was and is a troubled album. I don't think record studio pressure or constant touring helped. They couldn't get the performances they wanted, plus I think there were different ideas about which songs should be on the record. I think "John Dark" was supposed to be on King but got left off at the last minute. "Diamond Rib Cage" as well- I'd say the King artwork playing card theme was inspired by the song's lyrics: "My heart in a diamond rib cage".

So anyway, King is still a great record. You can put it on and have a good time and not have to skip any songs. It just could've been so much better.

No comments: