Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sky Motel: Part One





We'll take a quick break from Belly and do a little Kristin Hersh, for balance.

In 1999 KH released Sky Motel, her 4th solo album (counting Murder Misery then Goodnight). Sky Motel, as opposed to Hips and Makers & Strange Angels, was a rock album with a full-band sound.

There were two singles, Echo and A Cleaner Light. I always liked the idea behind the two EPs that were released (I assume it was an idea and not just an accident)-
The Echo EP had two B-sides, both covers (Echo, get it?): Nirvana's Pennyroyal Tea and The Beatles's Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey.
The A Cleaner Light EP had 3 B-sides, all acoustic versions (cleaner versions) of early Throwing Muses songs, specifically early weird (though beloved) TM songs: Hate My Way, Garoux Des Larmes, and Cry Baby Cry.
Hate My Way was the third track off the first TM album and the other two were from the first two EPs, The Fat Skier and Chains Changed. I think it's fitting that "Garoux" and "Cry" were included. The two songs are a lot alike; they could almost be mistaken for each other.

No comments: