Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Breeders "Last Splash": Part One






In 1993 I heard Cannonball on the radio and loved it. It's still one of my favorite songs (and videos- that was a good idea to have the band play with a big mirror behind them and the film equipment all around- it just looks so cool and shiny).

When I listen to the album, Last Splash, it always reminds me of wintertime because I made my friend buy it for me for Christmas.

Last Splash has a lot of good songs and a lot of shitty songs. I get the feeling that sometimes, the goal was to be "experimental" instead of listenable. That's what I think of Mad Lucas. Also, there's a problem with Divine Hammer. I like the song, but it's too subdued. I'll always turn up the volume but it's unsatisfying. I don't know if it's the drumming, or the guitars, but the song never takes off. Songs like SOS, Hag, Invisible Man, and No Aloha are just boring.

Over the years, along with Cannonball, my other favorite is Drivin' On 9, a country cover. It would've been a good single.

Sometimes I'll think about how certain albums could've been better. Last Splash would've been excellent if certain songs were dropped and added and if the order were moved a little.

Last Splash The Breeders

Side One
1. New Year
2. Cannonball
3. Lord of the Thighs [from the Cannonball EP]
4. I Can't Help It [from the Divine Hammer EP]
5. Do You Love Me Now
6. Flipside

Side Two
1. I Just Wanna Get Along
2. Divine Hammer
3. Hoverin [from the Divine Hammer EP]
4. Drivin' On 9
5. Saints

I think I'll burn a copy of this version to listen to when I do some cleaning this week. You should get on Limewire or Soulseek, download these songs and make your own. You'll love it.

No comments: