Sunday, March 1, 2009

Liz Phair "Supernova" "Juvenilia"






Liz Phair's second album Whipsmart came out in 1994. At that time I hadn't heard Exile in Guyville though I had read about it. I really liked the song Supernova when I heard it on the radio so I got the cassingle. What I really ended up liking was the B-side, Combo Platter, which was a kind of remix of some Girly-Sound demo tapes. It helped that I smoked pot back then. Combo Platter was echo-y and trippy (by the way, part of the song ended up being the song "Shitloads of Money" off the Whitechocolatespaceegg LP) and her voice sounded really pretty on it.

Anyway, I liked the sleeve art even though it was just a photo of that shiny star garland that's used for gift wrapping. A few years ago I found the 45 at a record store and picked it up. I probably wouldn't have, except it's on blue vinyl which I think is cool.

After Whipsmart came out Phair released the Juvenilia EP. Along with six older demos it had Jealousy from Whipsmart and a cover of Turning Japanese.

No comments: