Thursday, December 24, 2009

Pixies "Dig For Fire"



In 1994, not long after I bought Bossanova, the last of the records I bought to catch up on the Pixies, I found the Dig For Fire EP. I know Frank Black says Bossanova is his favorite Pixies record but it isn't mine. I think it's uneven and I don't like the track order. I think changing the order of the songs would've improved the album a great deal. Sometime I'll post my idea for a proper track sequence. In the meantime, let's talk about the Dig For Fire EP.

I love it because it has a remix of "Dig For Fire" and I like remixes (not dance remixes) of rock songs, like Belly's "Slow Dog" or the Breeders's "Safari".

"Dig For Fire" is mostly the same except the beginning is much shorter.

This EP also has "Velvety Instrumental Version"- OK; also a cover of Neil Young's "Winterlong" which Frank Black says is his favorite Pixies song. But my favorite, at least from this EP, is "Santo"- it has a cool sound, it's catchy, I think it represents every aspect of the Pixies sound. Also it reminds me of the scene in "The Exorcist" novel right after the spiderwalk.

I found this image on the 4AD website and I like the tint of the photo so here it is.

No comments: