Monday, October 27, 2008

"Dig For Fire"







I'm always excited to find a remix version of a song I like. My first experience with remixes was when I found the 12" section at my local Strawberries. I had no idea about them so I was thrilled to find the Madonna "Open Your Heart" 12" single- it was like the 45 with the same black and blue photo and a 10 minute-plus version.

What I liked about that remix, as opposed to other song remixes I've heard over the years is that it kept the basic sound of the original- it just stretched it out and changed things around (and in the case of OYH, it added an couple of new lines).

What I don't like about certain remixes is when they take the original song and just add some generic dance/techno background, for instance, the "Rescue Me" remixes.

Remixes of rock songs- or at least rock songs I like- are rare. There's my favorite: "Slow Dog (Radio Remix)" by Belly; it was the B-side to "Gepetto". It had a fast intro and a fade at the end.

Another is from the Throwing Muses Not Too Soon EP- "Him Dancing (Remix)" an extended version, about twice the length of the original.

Then there's the Pixies "Dig For Fire (Remix)" which aside from the intro isn't that different. Still, just the idea of a Pixies remix is exciting to me. Plus the EP had a couple really good B-sides- "Santo" & "Winterlong".

These are just a few DFF-related pictures.

No comments: