Friday, October 17, 2008

Its not all 4AD and Paisley Park here






I didn't hear the Sugarcubes till "Hit" in 1991. I picked up their last album Stick Around For Joy from a tape club I belonged to at the time. I like it but I remember it seeming very same-sounding at first. "Walkabout" & "Hetero Scum" were favorites back then; now the songs that stand out are "Lucky Night" & "Happy Nurse".

Before I go any further, I wanna make it clear: I love the Sugarcubes. Listening to them make me very happy. But why does that guy have to talk/sing in every fucking song? I wish Elektra would re-release each album with his voice remixed out. They can leave him in for "Gold", "Pump", & "Hot Meat". That's it.

Also, by the time I got It's It, their remix collection in 1994 it was already dated. Some other time we'll get into remixes of rock songs. For now I just wanna say, if you haven't heard any of their songs try "Bee" from Here Today, Tomorrow, Next Week. Or just buy the whole album; you can probably find it for under $5.

No comments: