Saturday, October 11, 2008

Reviews of movies I've never seen: "The Life of David Gale"

I've never seen The Life of David Gale (2003), not even flipping around on a Saturday afternoon, or-since I've been looking for a job-on a Wednesday afternoon.
All I knew about it at the time it came out was that it's a death penalty movie starring Kevin Spacey.

Thank you, but no.

I put Kevin Spacey in the category of actors who are considered great but seem totally unbelievable to me. Edward Norton's another one. Watching Red Dragon I could see him imagining his lines on the page. The script was practically in a balloon over his head. He wasn't any better in Primal Fear, the movie that put him on track to be the next big actor. Which reminds me, he was alright- just alright- in The Score, which I really liked.

Anyway, nobody was good in Primal Fear; in fact, I really disliked Laura Linney after seeing it, and I didn't realize that she isn't an asshole till I saw her in You Can Count on Me, and I only saw a 1/2 an hour of that. Laura Linney also stars in TLoDG. Is she any good in it? I don't know, I never saw it. She only appears in flashbacks, I'm guessing. Probably a lot of the movie is flashbacks; the rest probably takes place in a prison, possibly Death Row.

Before you get too impressed that I seem to magically know details of a movie I've never seen, I guess I should let you know: I read about the movie. I don't know exactly where it came to my attention, but I read somewhere that Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times hated this movie-0 stars. If I remember right, it was the ending, the very last shot, that bothered him. He didn't reveal details so I looked it up. Now I know, but like Brittany Murphy, I'll never tell.

This brings it back to why I didn't care about the movie in the first place: it's a death penalty movie. That's why I didn't want to see Dead Man Walking (I would like to rent Shocker, though). There's nothing worse than a movie with a message.

No comments: