Friday, September 17, 2010

Bag of Bones

Bag of Bones (1998)

At the start of the summer I borrowed my friend's copy of Under The Dome (2009). Not perfect, but not bad either. This book, on the other hand, borrowed from the same friend, was a bit of a drag. It's readable, it's enjoyable, but for the last 100 pages I was ready for it to be over.

I think the problem is that I'm not really into ghost stories. And my big problem with this ghost story is: since the "good ghost" can send messages, why not be clearer right from the beginning. It would've saved so much time

The other problem is: the story is basically about a widower living alone in his lake house, spending a lot of time by himself. I had plenty of nap-time this week on my days off; I'd read 30 pages and then curl up on my loveseat.

But anyway, in spite of these problems, it's still a good book. Like I said, it's readable. As I always say, people talk shit about Stephen King, but try writing 700 pages of a story that people will actually want to read. It is not easy. Think back to all the books you started reading and ended up dropping because they lost your interest. As always, page after page, SK keeps you reading.

No comments: