Thursday, September 16, 2010

Rat Girl



Last week I went to the bookstore downtown, hoping they'd have Kristin Hersh's Rat Girl. They did; in fact, it was up on the main wall, one of the "Staff Picks".

It's a very sweet book, well written. I'll get my one complaint out of the way first: I could've done without the "69 songs". They seemed redundant. Maybe that was just because I knew most of them. I don't know.

Anyway, the book was everything you could want in a story- sad, scary, funny, interesting, suspenseful. One of the funniest parts comes right in the middle of one of the most disturbing parts: the story about the witch.

I have a feeling that this book is going to find a large audience. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were someday made into a movie.

Note: Outside of North America Rat Girl was published under its original title, Paradoxical Undressing.

No comments: