Friday, October 1, 2010

Here's the story...

Back in the summer of 2006 I worked with this shady junkie- we'll call him Dan. Right before he started working there he spent a week in detox to get off heroin. Two weeks into the job he was back on it.

I trained him on a machine at the end of his first week and as he didn't have a car and he happened to live close to me I ended up being his ride home all summer.

A month after we started hanging out I met his 19-year-old girlfriend in his bedroom in his mother's basement. She was a freshman in college, very sweet, and had braces. We were sitting on his futon with him sitting between me and Jill, watching a Van Damme movie. They were making out and halfway through the movie he told her to suck his dick. She blushed, but she did it. I was super-uncomfortable so I just stared at the TV. That's wierd, right?

He was very shady. He was a thief. He had Hep C. He was very bad at injecting himself so when I was around I had to do it for him.

But the big problem was, while he wasn't a big drinker, when he did drink he was one of those people who turns into a completely different person. He'd call me at midnight and threaten to kill me because earlier in the week I'd said something that'd hurt his feelings.

It was a joke- he'd been really fucked up and I said he looked like one of the people from Pet Sematary, one of the ones who'd been brought back. He hadn't even seen the movie, and besides, he didn't have any feelings. I told him that too.

Anyway, that fall he was arrested and he moved to one of the Carolinas and I've only run into him a couple of times since he moved back last year.

This summer he was arrested for robbing an elderly female cashier at a package store at gunpoint in a little town 40 miles away. He spent the last two months in jail and just got out last week. The case has been dismissed because there is security camera footage of him at a package store in his hometown at 9:02pm that night and the robbery happened at 9:08pm so there's no way he could've been there.

So I guess he's innocent but I've started to think that maybe a friend helped him out. Maybe someone he knows works at a package store and they doctored some footage of him shopping and changed the time and date on it in an effort to clear him. I'd like to ask him but even if he wasn't a compulsive liar, which he is, I don't think he'd admit it.

No comments: