Thursday, December 30, 2010

Two Thousand and Ten

It's been a big year here at RJ Battles. Not really. Actually, it's been a medium-sized year here. But that's still good. I had fun and I hope you did too.

This post is a look back at the happenings at RJ Battles and some of my favorite entries.

Back in January I found some awesome scans of Belly record sleeves. I've seen most of them but there are others I'm still looking for.

In March I reviewed Shutter Island and wrote about the death of Corey Haim. I love the paintings of Christiane Kubrick, Stanley Kubrick's widow- she's an amazing artist. In April I posted some of my favorite paintings.

I discovered two great things in April: 1) The joy of making terrariums, and 2) a blog called The Daily Guru. The Daily Guru writes clumsy reviews of albums and songs in the manner of hack music journalism from the 80s and 90s.

In May I put up a record 50 posts; the following month my posts went in the opposite direction when I only put up 9 entries.

In August my friends and I celebrated Lego Day 2010. We like to take a day- aside from his birthday- to pay tribute to my friend Lego. This years was his wife's first time celebrating Lego Day. We had a great time and I'm left with memories of a fun night and a cool graphic, the image I made on Paint to advertise the party.

In September I bought Sky Motel with money that I found on the sidewalk just a couple feet away from a bum who was asking for money. waBOOM.

October brought the 2 year anniversary of RJ Battles. I also came across Nuala O'Faolain's memoir, Are You Somebody? and loved it. I got to the end of it and turned right back to the beginning and read it again.

I was at 4AD.com in November and saw an amazing promo poster for Red Heaven. I'm not sure- I might even like it better than the promo poster for Frank Black's Frank Black. All fall I've been obsessed with Carrie Fisher and the interesting life she's had. And I'm still fascinated by Patti "The Millionaire Matchmaker" Stanger. I wrote about both ladies in December.

Later I'm gonna put up links to some of my favorite posts from 2010 at RJ Battles.

No comments: