Friday, December 10, 2010

"Wishful Drinking" Carrie Fisher


I've been very into Carrie Fisher since this summer when I picked up Postcards From The Edge for $.25 at a thrift shop. The book is a little dated and vulgar in spots, but still funny and interesting.

I'm probably the only person who likes her AND has no interest in Star Wars. I saw those movies a long time ago but I barely remember them.

When I think of her I think of The 'Burbs, a late-80s movie she did with Tom Hanks. I've always liked that movie. It's exciting and really sets a mood.

Anyway, I think she's cool and she's led such a full life. Here are just some fun facts:

Her first movie was Shampoo and during filming Warren Beatty offered to take her virginity (she mentioned this to Madonna during their "Big-Time Girl Talk" Rolling Stone interview).

She was good friends with the original Saturday Night Live cast and nearly married Dan Aykroyd.

She stole Paul Simon away from Shelley Duvall while Duvall was stuck in England shooting The Shining.

They were together, on and off, for about 12 years and were married for a year in the early 80s; the wedding date was the same as Madonna and Sean Penn's- August 16th.

The song "Graceland" is about her. Also "Hearts and Bones", "Alergies", and "She Moves On".

Her daughter Billie is friends with Frances Bean Cobain.

She worked as a script doctor on Hook, Sister Act, and The Wedding Singer.

I read the book version of her one-woman-show Wishful Drinking the other day and it turns out that it was filmed for HBO and they're running it this Sunday, December 12 at 9pm. I don't get HBO but I'll see it eventually.

No comments: