Monday, April 25, 2011

EP- Elvis Costello and the Brodski Quartet

Elvis Costello and the Brodski Quartet (promo) Live at New York Town Hall

This CD isn't getting the full treatment. I picked it up for 50 cents at a used record store; it was in a box- one of many- full of hundreds of Cds that almost nobody would ever want.

Well, I wanted it. Not only did it have one of my favorite songs from The Juliet Letters, "I Almost Had A Weakness" (note: I could do without the lyrics and vocals; I'm in it for the melody and the title), but it also has a Tom Waits song and one by the Beach Boys.

The EP opens with "More Than Rain". I'd never heard Wait's version. I've heard it now once. Track two is "God Only Knows" from Pet Sounds; it's probably the best song on the CD.

The third song is called "They Didn't Believe Me" which left no impression on me and the Cd ends with a version of "Weakness" that doesn't sound too different from the LP version.

You might like this EP. And if you can find it for 50 cents too then I say, go for it.

No comments: