Saturday, April 16, 2011

Mermaids

Mermaids (1990) directed by Richard Benjamin

Mermaids was on the other night so I stayed up to watch it. The ending is hard to watch so I almost stopped early but I made it through. It's upsetting when Kate slips and nearly drowns, even if you know that she's fine at the end.

I first saw this movie years ago, with my mom and my older brother, back when we were in high school. Set in Massachusetts in 1963, it's a sentimental film to begin with. My mom is the same age as Cher, and I remember that while we watched the movie my mom told us about her memory of the day Kennedy was shot.

It's hard to believe that 21 years have gone by. 1990, 1991- that was a very carefree time- that's the way it is when you're young.

The movie Mermaids was good then and it still is. The story is told well. There's just a small group of characters, all family and friends, no villians. It's just Charlette vs. Mrs. Flax, and Mrs. Flax vs. Lou. Everyone in this movie is so good.

I looked up this movie earlier and saw that it was directed by Richard Benjamin. The name sounded familiar. Of course- My Favorite Year, such a good movie (plus The Money Pit, ok, but very 1980s).

Anyway, great soundtrack. I love hearing Smokey Robinson and the Miricles doing "You Really Got A Hold On Me". And, by the way, Michael Schoeffling ("Jake Ryan") plays Joe, the caretaker at the local convent. He's 50 years old this year.

No comments: