Monday, April 4, 2011

Wheatbacks- part two


My friend Pearl collects wheatback pennies; she has tins full of them. I used to give her all the wheatbacks I found but then we stopped talking for a while and since last year I've been saving them for myself.

I've got 138, but none of mine are worth anything. The most valuable ones are the 1955 double-dies. I'll probably never find one of those, but at my job I run two registers and I come across one every week or two. There have been days where I found 2, even 3, but my best day was when I looked into the register and saw that every single penny was a wheatback. Someone must've opened one of the coin rolls and the entire roll was full of wheatbacks. I traded out all fifty and took them home and put them in my washed-out pickle jar.

I've also got an Indianhead pennie from 1899 and a Buffalo Nickel where the date is rubbed out (that's common for Buffalo Nickels).

No comments: