Monday, August 16, 2010

Can I Be Mean For A Minute?

First, some background: In the town where I live there are some art galleries downtown and the biggest one is doing a show of Leonard Nimoy's artwork right now. The town also has a free weekly called The Valley Advocate- a left wing paper with stories about government, local issues, the environment, the arts, ect. and it also does listings for the clubs and resturants plus there's a personals section in the back.

I was reading the letters page at lunchtime today and I found this letter which I think is hilarious.

I don't like laughing at high school students but I can't help myself. Read on...

"I traveled up from New Jersey to take part in Leonard Nimoy's Secret Selves project ["Nimoy's Lens" August 5, 2010], taking a day off from my work at Tenafly High School where I head the school's library media center. I had my video camera with me. Mr. Nimoy asked that I turn this camera upon myself and lift it up in the air; he then took the shot and said it was a good one. His instruction seemed quick and spontaneous.
"I said to Mr. Nimoy that I learned through the philosophy of Aesthetic Realism that art can answer questions; he responded by saying that art can ask questions. Later I asked if he would be so kind to record a message to our students and he generously agreed.
"I hope for his next project Mr. Nimoy will involve himself in education by perhaps taking a small group of students on a journey through a philosophical concept and photographic project similar to this one- accompanied with rich discussion, questions, answers, and wonder!

David di Gregorio
via Online Comments

Oh my God. This guy isn't a student, he's an adult. I just looked him up and found a news story about his library. Holy shit. I figured he was just a high school kid who volunteered at the library to get out of gym class (if you know what I mean) and was trying to sound smart. This makes it even worse.

Number 1: The thing with the video camera. I'm trying to visualize that situation and I can't. Why is it in the lead paragraph in his email?

Number 2: The conversation about art-

DAVID "I learned through the philosophy of Aesthetic Realism that art can answer questions, Mr. Nimoy"

LEONARD "Art can ask questions as well"

Who the fuck talks like that? The same kind of person who feels compelled to give the details of his big intellectual conversations to the readers of a free paper in a town 300 miles from his home. By the way, I have a feeling this conversation took place in Mr. Nimoy's hotel room (if you know what I mean).

Number 3: The entire last paragraph...I wanna say it's unbelievably gay but none of the gay people I know talk like that. We need a new word. Someone will say "That's so gay" and everyone knows exactly what they mean, but the word gay really doesn't fit. So we need a new word to describe someone who says "rich discussion, questions, answers, and wonder!"

No comments: