Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Falltime books





There are a lot of good (I'm hoping) books coming out between now and November.

Rat Girl (Aug. 31) Kristin Hersh (336 pages)
Kristin Hersh did a quick US tour recently where she mixed accoustic songs with readings from this book (named Paradoxical Undressing overseas). It covers one year in the mid-80s when Throwing Muses was about to be signed to Sire Records, KH was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder, and she found out she was pregnant.
I'm looking forward to this book but I was disappointed when I found out it only covers one year; I wish that it told the entire Muses story. Hopefully it'll do well and there'll be a follow-up.

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk- A Modest Bestiary (September 28) David Sedaris (176 pages)
I've been reading about this book of "animal fables" for a while; I think it's been pushed back a few times and I have a feeling the publishers are worried that Sedaris will have his first flop. I don't think they want to put out anything other than his usual collection of essays.

Simple Times- Crafts for Poor People (November 2) Amy Sedaris (304 pages)
This is the follow-up to Sedaris's 2006 cookbook/entertaining guide I Like You- Hospitality Under the Influence. I've seen some preview pages and it's done in the same style as I Like You.
Sedaris also co-wrote one of my favorite books, Wigfield, with Stephen Colbert and Paul Dinello.

Full Dark, No Stars (November 9) Stephen King (384 pages)
Full Dark is a collection of four novellas; titles and descriptions are up at StephenKing.com.

No comments: