Monday, August 16, 2010

Elvis




Though I liked "Veronica" at the time, I didn't get into Elvis Costello until 1999. I saw the early-90s record Mighty Like A Rose on tape, used, for $2 and decided to try it. I liked it and started getting, used, the Rycodisc re-issues which had just come out.

Each had B-sides, live tracks, and demos tacked on at the end but my favorite thing was the liner notes which described the songs and the time period. They were well-written and always fun to read.

Around 2003 Rhino re-issued the albums again plus newer records all the way up to All This Useless Beauty and they all came with a bonus disc of extra songs. All This is one of the Rhino versions that I bought; the other is Goodbye Cruel World. I really want to get the Rhino re-releases of Brutal Youth, Get Happy, and especially Kojak Variety.

I hate the keyboards- they sound faggy, and I don't get most of the references in the songs, but I do like a lot of EC's music.

No comments: