Thursday, January 20, 2011

I'm back

I'm sorry for not being here often enough this month. I've worked everyday since Tuesday but now I've got the whole weekend off because I've got company.

I love having someone stay over- it's always exciting.

Right now we're watching Youth In Revolt. As you know, I'm not crazy about Michael Cera. I mean, he's fine, he's just over-rated. Watching this, though, makes me want to re-watch Part One of Aimee Mann's Christmas Carol where she plays Scrooge. Cera stars in Part Three, what's-his-name-from-The Office is in Part Two, but it's Part One that I really like. Mann is leading a band meeting and laying down the law. "And I don't want to hear word one from you..." and then, "You can tell Tiny Tim from me, "Bah a-fucking humbug". Good stuff. Check it out if you're on Youtube.

By the way, I re-installed Soulseek and I've already got a bunch of cool songs. One I love is "A Case of You"- I've got one by kd lang and another by Prince. I got Throwing Muses's Hunkpapa on tape in 1994 and then years later I got the CD for the bonus track "Santa Claus"; now I've got the mp3s. One song I really want is from kd lang's cover album, Drag. It was written the (other) guy from Sugar and it's called "Your Smoke Screen". Perfect words.

My new favorite song is "Moon River". Last year American Laundromat Records put out a collection of lullabies and Tanya Donelly does "Moon River". I like that American Laundromat label; they're based out of CT and they do mostly tribute albums. They did one for The Cure and Donelly worked with Dylan At The Movies for "The Lovecats" while Grand Duchy did "A Strange Day". The also made a 80s soundtrack compilation and Frank Black did "Repo Man" while Kristin Hersh did "Wave of Mutilation"

No comments: