Friday, January 28, 2011

A new interest or obsession

This past fall I was obsessed with Carrie Fisher. I was into looking up info about her life and work. I'd already read Postcards From The Edge, but in October I got Surrender The Pink from the library. It's her second novel and it's a fictional account of her relationship with Paul Simon.

I also looked up old news stories and interviews and read her Rolling Stone "Big-time Girl Talk" interview with Madonna. That was an interesting read.

Last week I was re-reading parts of Kathy Griffin's book and it got me interesting in the alternative comedy scene of the early and mid 90s. Ben Stiller, Andy Dick, ect. And today I was reading about Judd Apatow. I'm not very impressed with his movies and IFC has been playing old episodes of Freaks and Geeks and I don't see what the big deal is. Still, I can't help but be impressed with how busy he's been. He worked on The Ben Stiller Show (on Wiki it said that the two of them met in 1990 outside an Elvis Costello show) and did a re-write for The Cable Guy script and after that he went to write for The Larry Sanders Show, one of my favorite TV shows.

He wrote movie scripts and created his own TV shows. He's in his early 40s and hwe's accomplished so much. It makes me feel like a slacker, but then, I am one.

Last year I was always posting here about all the ideas I had for books and movies I wanted to write. I started them all and finished none of them. And even if I finished, say, my Lifetime horror movie, what would I do with it? Do I set up a meeting with someone from Lifetime or just put it in an envelope and mail it? I can see a fat package sitting on my dresser for weeks until I finally shove it in a drawer.

I've got to change the way I do things. Or, even better, I need a partner to keep on top of me.

No comments: