Saturday, July 23, 2011

Amy Winehouse

I got home from work around 6pm and, like always, got on the computer to check on news and whatnot. Had I gone to USA Today online instead of my local paper I would've seen the news right away. As it was I scan the local headlines and didn't see the story about Amy Winehouse till I scrolled down.

I've gotta say: I'm surprised. Yeah, I knew she had plenty of problems, but it never occurred to me that she might die. She seemed like a survivor, in spite of, or because of, all the trouble she got into.

I liked the two songs that I heard on the radio, "Rehab" and "You Know I'm No Good". I checked out Back to Black at the library and while i thought it was good, nothing else jumped out at me. Still, those two songs are excellent. I love how "Rehab" has that 60s sound to it but I can't think of any particular song from that time that it sounds like.

And she was so cool looking- that beehive was so unexpected and so right. She was very pretty and she seemed like she'd be fun to hang out with, at least until she started coming off as more of a fighter, somebody who actually gets into fights with people.

I think the whole thing is so sad. Like I said, I didn't see this coming. I always imagined that, while she may or may not keep getting in trouble, she'd have a decades- long career and a lot of amazing songs in the future.

On a side note, Twitter is starting to annoy me the way that it's become a legitimate news source. Everyone's Twitter account is being quoted. I know it's early, but have you read any thoughtful comments from any of her fellow musicians? I haven't. Only Tweets that don't look much different than the comments that teenagers leave on their friends' Facebook pages. "RIP Amy", ect.

No comments: