Friday, July 15, 2011

Bear and Bunny

The other morning I was at work and a customer who was sitting by the window stood up and said, "A bear just ran down the sidewalk".

The resturant is located right in the center of town so that's unusual. Last summer one of my roommates saw a bear in our backyard, but we live on the outskit=rts of town. Two weeks ago I saw a family- a mother bear and three baby bears walk across the parking lot of the apartment complex next door. The mother grabbed a trash bag and dragged it across the lot and behind a building. It was around 7pm on a Friday night.

The bear the other day- a baby, 4' and about 175 lbs- drew a crowd and was very scared. I ran outside in time to se it climb over a metal fence and back onto the sidewalk. I heard that afterwards it got onto our patio and tried to get into the dining room. Customers screamed and the bear got scared, shit on the patio, and ran across the street. Then it went up a tree.

I'm sure dozens of people called animal control but I saw in the paper that the bear ran away on its own.

Two nights ago I was outside at home having a smoke when there was a comotion in the bushes next to me. I looked over and saw four tiny bunnies running around a railroad tie. Then I saw a stray cat- probably feral- run off with something in its mouth. I chased it up the driveway yelling, "Put down that bunny!!"

I went around the house and when I got back to where I started I saw a baby bunny laying on its side in the driveway taking short, ragged breaths. My roommate was due back at any time and I wanted to get the bunny out of the driveway so I ran up to room to get something to move it with. When I came back out a moment later the bunny had died.

No comments: