Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Things to do and people to see


Last night I wrote about Jincy Willet's short story "The Best of Betty"*. I just wanna say again how good it is. I think anyone would like it, but it helps if you grew up reading advice columns like Ann Landers and Dear Abby. My local paper also carried Dr. Ruth for a while too.

I'm just gonna take this time to recomend a few other things you'll like.

I like just about every O Henry story I've read but my favorite is "The Last Leaf". Check it out- it's very short and won't take much of your time but you'll always remember it. You can easily find it online. Also, if you get the chance, see O Henry's Full House. "The Last Leaf" is acted out, along with "The Gift of the Magi".

One of my favorite songs from the last 10 years is "Silver Lining" by Rilo Kiley. I heard it one time on the radio and then never again. I thought it was Jewel so that made it a little harder to track it down on the computer but I still found it on YouTube.

Speaking of YouTube, if you're in a bad mood with time to kill watch some of Kathy Griffin's Bravo specials. She has a couple new ones out- "50 and Not Pregnant" and "Gurrl Down". She talks about Steven Segal: Lawman and spending her birthday with Cher.

Ok, I guess I've given you enough to do. Now go do it.



* "The Best of Betty" is from Jincy Willet's book Jenny & the Jaws of Life.

No comments: