Friday, February 19, 2010

Wheat-back



My friend collects wheat-backs and she has a couple tins on her dresser heavy with them. I'm in the resturant biz and come across at least one- two in a good week.

I've been her supplier for years and I keep thinking I should start saving them for myself. She's gotten at least 100 from me over the past 3 years. I could have my own heavy tin right now.

Whenever I spot one I get a little thrill. The other day a customer spotted me taking a WB from the register and replacing it with a penny from the 'take a penny' jar. She didn't know what I was doing so she asked what was so special so I told her about it.

I always thought that they were worthless, or worth one cent, but I was just looking at the Wikipedia Wheat-back page, or skimming it, and supposedly the ones from 1909 are worth something. I'll have to go back and check it out.

No comments: