Thursday, April 8, 2010

"The Daily Guru"

I found the blog The Daily Guru the other night when I was looking for information on the recording of The Breeders Pod. Last year, the guy who writes TDG, "the music guru", posted about a different "essential" album every day.

I read a few of them and I couldn't believe all the problems I saw. Now, I'm no great writer, and I know that when I write about music my comments aren't so great:"I really like Jenny Lewis's album Rabbit Fur Coat; it's got some great songs". I know this and that's why my reviews are usually very short. What can I say about the Jenny Lewis album that's going to make you want to listen to it. Really, all I can say is that I like it.

Anyway, these reviews were your typical album review, stuff you've read a thousand times in Rolling Stone or Spin. Except certain words and phrases were used way to much. Plus I don't even want to get into the review of Belly's Star LP. I wanted to re-write that one too but it was just way too crazy.

OK, I like Star. I like Tanya Donelly. I don't know, though, if I would say, "...Donelly's lyrics transcend generations and rival any words ever written".

Anyway, part of me wants to write to The Daily Guru and point out- in a friendly way- some of the problems with the reviews. I worry, though, that the advice might not be taken in the spirit in which it is given and it might make him very angry. I'm afraid- what if what he lacks in writing talent he makes up for in computer virus-creation ability? It's probably best not to say anything.

No comments: