Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"Go Man Go"



I must've been doing an image search- Breeders-related- and I came across a blog dedicated to live bootleg downloads of 4AD artists (if I find it again I'll post a link) and they had a section of demos from various albums and one of them was Last Splash.

The Pod demos are easy to find. There's Soulseek, and there's NoAloha.com- a Breeders page where you can download live tracks, soundtrack songs and B-sides. But I'd never seen Last Splash demos anywhere before.

I listened to a few of them and they were good, but what I wanted to hear was Go Man Go, an out-take from the Last Splash sessions.

It was a surprise. I don't think it fits in with the sound of that album but I don't understand why it never showed up anywhere else. It's amazing.

You should seek it out (like I said, I'll try to help, but you know how slow I can be); it's at least as good as "Divine Hammer" and "Drivin On 9".

It sounds like a Frank Black song, almost like a Cult of Ray-era B-side. I could see him recording it. It would make a good first track for a new Pixies album.


Note: The picture above has nothing to do with this song. I just like it and want to put it up again, that's all.

2 comments:

Derek Denim said...

There is a live version from 94 floating around that has horrible sound quality. The demo version just showed up a few years ago. It would be interesting to hear a final version, but I don't think it ever got past the demo form.

RJ Battles said...

It's too bad because it really would've stood out on Last Splash; there's nothing else that sounds like it.