Thursday, April 1, 2010

A tribute to Final Girl

I've been reading the Final Girl blog since around 2007. I found it through the old Look Back In Anger blog.

I've read about 85% of the posts, which are mostly movie reviews, and most of the movies are horror movies, and most of those horror movies are slasher movies from the 1970s and 80s.

I've seen a lot of the movies she writes about, but even when I haven't seen or even heard of the particular film she's reviewing, it's always a pleasure to read. She's a great writer and very funny.

It was her blog that inspired me to start this one- RJ Battles. In fact, a long time ago, I asked her on Myspace if she had any advice about starting a blog. I like what she said and I've tried to do it. She said, basically, "Write about something you're interested in, and don't worry if you don't have readers right away; just write for yourself".

If you get a chance you should definitely check out Final Girl. There you can find her Review Archive and look up all the reviews she's done. Here is a list of just a few of my favorite posts:

Night Of The Lepus
Salem's Lot
Eaten Alive
Straight Jacket
Frogs
Day Of The Animals
The Fog (1980) (2005)
The Exorcist III
The Blair Witch Project
Grindhouse
The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Polergeist II & III
Devil Dog: Hound From Hell

She has also done marathon blogs where she watched an entire series in one night; there was a Halloween marathon and a Friday The 13th one.



Note: One time a reader plagerised her and put up a post that copied her almost word for word. She went through the roof and posted an awesome response. The guy ended up deleting his entire blog. It was great.

Sometimes, though, I'll be writing something for RJ Battles and if it's funny I'll immediately think, "Did I copy this from something I read on Final Girl?"


(Note: I don't mean to give the impression that I'm friends with Final Girl. We're friends on Myspace but we only spoke that one time there, and we sent a couple messages when I participated in her Final Girl Film Club.)

No comments: