Monday, April 19, 2010

Limbo: Part One





Limbo (1996) Throwing Muses

Limbo is my favorite Throwing Muses record. The others are great, but a little uneven. When I first got it (I bought it in Ireland and listened to it with my girlfriend in her old bedroom and alone on the flight home) I liked it but thought it dragged a little with the dreary combo of "Night Driving" and "Mr. Bones", and they do drag they album down but they're also excellent songs- "Mr. Bones" is kind of sexy, and you should look around for an alternate version of "Night Driving" that's out there. Kristin Hersh sings and plays electric guitar and at the beginning says, "This song is called "Night Driving" and it's about driving around the Hollywood Hills at night".

3 comments:

Derek Denim said...

That alternate version of Night Driving is from the live to tape ep. The track listing is 1. Shark 2. Ruthie's Knocking 3. Night Driving 4. Serene 5. Bright Yellow Gun 6. Bea. It was recorded at Stable Sound 5/20/96.

Night Driving is probably the best song on there.

RJ Battles said...

I can't decide which version I like better- they're both so good. I don't know, probably the LtT version; something about it really feels like driving around at night in a strange place.

RJ Battles said...

Whenever I see these pictures it makes me think of fried scallops. I'd really like some now.